04 June 2010

Summer Love

In some cultures, the raspberry is revered as a passion fruit. I absolutely love raspberries so I find this notion a bit funny. Each time I pass the jars of raspberry preserves in the grocery aisle I can't help but don a silly smile. Just the sight makes me crave a bit of raspberries and (dare I say it?) c-cream... nope, too fattening. This girl's watching the calories! The love business aside, I'm drawn to this information I recently found about my favorite fruit:

  • They do not have any fat, saturated fat, sodium or cholesterol.
  • They are high in fiber, vitamin C, potassium and folate.
  • They are low in calories.
  • They can help lower high blood pressure.
  • Raspberries have an anti-inflammatory property that may help to reduce inflammation of the joints.

Anyway, I've got some berries just waiting for a purpose and I think I'll bake some muffins today. Here's a recipe courtesy of About.com. You can substitute blueberries for raspberries and lemon for orange...Looks delicious!

Lowfat Raspberry Orange Muffins
Yields 12 muffins

  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp canola oil
  • 1/4 cup orange juice
  • zest of 1 medium orange
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 8-ounce carton fat-free vanilla yogurt
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1 6-ounce pack fresh raspberries

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Stir with a whisk. In a separate bowl, combine oil, orange juice and zest, vanilla, yogurt and egg. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add liquid ingredients. Stir until just moist. Add raspberries and fold in gently. Spoon batter into a 12-cup muffin pan lined with paper cups. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

* * * * *

I am excited about tomorrow. The Historic City of Jefferson, of which I am a member, is hosting its annual Home Tour. This year the event is to be held near the Four Corners area of the old West End...my former stomping grounds. My dear friend and her husband have lovingly restored a circa 1930s home and will be featured at the event. All seven homes on the tour boast the finest attention to detail. Historic preservation...another reason for me to smile. I hope to share pictures with you soon.

My Happilist
i.am.sanders
Gratitude is the heart's memory. ~French proverb
Nos. 102 ~167
  • the poetry of Edgar Allen Poe
  • the sound of summer crickets
  • fresh-squeezed orange juice
  • honest communication that requires no words
  • mechanical pencils that never dull
  • lyrics that say everything you otherwise could not
  • poetry...in words, in a look, in a smile, in your heart
  • memoirs
  • the truth
  • number 11
  • the color yellow...roses, a shirt...Dad
  • Dad's chili on a cold winter's night
  • loyalty
  • fresh-cracked pepper, always
  • a Combination Salad from Madison's Cafe
  • birthday wishes
  • a great workout at the gym
  • grandma's aprons
  • vintage jewelry
  • Moleskine journals, lined
  • a little black dress (or 2 or 3)
  • seaspray
  • songs in minor keys
  • trees in autumnal dress
  • Warren Kimble folkart
  • the magic of Larkspur Lane
  • handmade gifts, created with intention (and the sentiments behind them)
  • antique Christmas ornaments
  • my grandparents' first set of dishes, circa 1938, displayed in my hutch
  • antiquing in Hermann, Missouri
  • one-room schoolhouses
  • sour cherries, eaten right from the tree
  • games of croquet
  • homemade ice cream
  • love letters from world War II...those between my grandparents
  • Hershey's Fruit candy bar in lime...Tokyo, Japan
  • picnics
  • spinach salads with bacon and egg
  • Badge #60...my father's
  • sukiyaki
  • baklava
  • Teddy and Cat...my oldest friends
  • old buttons in a Mason jar
  • plane tickets to the "right" destination
  • the wisdom of Robert Brault
  • the intuitive words of Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • pottery, McKenzie-style
  • a room with a view
  • ranch dressing
  • new crayons
  • the subtlety of lamplight
  • quiche...made by me!
  • new shoes...One can never have too many.
  • goal-oriented people...much more interesting, I do believe
  • salvation
  • Navy uniforms...on sailors, of course
  • McDonaldland cookies
  • forgiveness
  • intellect...too often a rarity
  • beer bread
  • the laughter of children
  • catching a rainbow before it fades, and remembering the promise it signifies
  • blue...like my mother's eyes...like mine, too
  • heartsmiles
  • the release of tears
  • goodbyes...sometimes...sometimes

No comments:

Post a Comment