12 June 2010

Girls' Day

Today was well spent with my Baby Lane. She's not really a baby any longer, although I still affectionately call her this. She has granted permission for use of this nickname as long as I remain cognizant that she is attending preschool in the fall. If you haven't time to respond to a tug at your pants leg, your schedule is too crowded. ~Robert Brault As I showered I heard the bathroom door open, then quickly close. When reaching for my towel, I noticed she had left a present for me. She had lovingly drawn a six-legged monster especially for moi! I will cherish it always... Unbeknownst to me, a kidsfest was in full swing downtown with just a few hours to spare. Lane and I arrived in time for her to hang out with a police officer and stare in wonderment at the gadgets inside his car. (At 4, she has already stated her desire to become a member of the police force. She wants to drive a "bad boy" car someday.) We then moved on to the Diego Bounce House and the firetruck, watched ballerinas on stage, shopped for books, and then headed to lunch. There are no seven wonders of the world in the eyes of a child. There are seven million. ~Walt Streightiff Next we visited the pet store. Lane went directly to the snakes and tarantula, then moved to the fish and the ferrets. And no "girls day out" would be complete without a little shopping. A couple of pairs of shoes and a pair of jeans later, and momma is happy. The best inheritance a parent can give to his children is a few minutes of their time each day. ~M. Grundler

Fortunately for me, the family was invited to dinner. I had intended to skip this meal all together but couldn't resist the invitation. Besides, it meant I didn't have to cook for anyone else either. I'm beginning to adjust to my summer schedule and somehow, I struggle to find adequate time to stand in the kitchen and toil. Seriously, I'd rather read...or write...or play...or... You get the point. And so today's commentary is brief. It just so happens I'm busy. Spend the afternoon. You can't take it with you. ~Annie Dillard

No comments:

Post a Comment