09 June 2010

Battle Scars

"I was thinking about how disjointedly time seemed to flow, passing in a blur at times, with single images standing out more clearly than others. And then, at other times, every second was significant, etched in my mind." ~Stephenie Meyer, Twilight, 2005

So today's title is a bit, well, depressing. I really didn't intend for it to be. I've been doing a lot of thinking about a lot of things...and it just seemed to fit. I revisited an old Russian today. Anna Karenina is quite the novel. Her author is quite the philosopher:

"The two most powerful warriors are these, patience and time." ~Leo Tolstoy

I'm not sure I believe in the use of most as an adverb here but definitely, definitely, I am learning the power of time...and well, maybe a bit of patience. The latter is not my forte, but time? It just has a way of moving you forward, ready or not. I've decided to keep putting one foot in front of the other right along with it.
"We must use time as a tool, not as a crutch."
~John F. Kennedy

And so...even as I type this I am anticipating my evening. I'll be celebrating time with Jami and Liz. This post will not be complete until tomorrow, but once again, I do not care. Afterall, it's just a matter of time before this rant of mine goes live anyway. I can never hold it in for very long! Tonight, I'm spending my time with people who love me and wish to spend their time in my company. Trust me, after a day away from home doing endless loads of laundry (yep, the dryer is still broken), I would consider nothing else but to oblige. Besides, who's to argue with great friends and delightful conversation?


* * * * *
And thus, I have returned to finish. I spent a nice summer evening with these ladies, Shannon, and Joni and her daughter, Brette, too. We enjoyed our conversation outdoors and not one mosquito found me attractive. (I'm learning to be thankful for the little things). Finally, finally the remodel on Jami's bungalow, is nearly complete. There is but one word for it...stunning.

Liz is a phenomenal artist who specializes in faux finishes. She is a hometown girl who now resides in Decatur, Illinois. Today she is at the bungalow considering a new look for the recently stained concrete floors. Her work, too, is stunning...


Become a fan of her work by clicking this link...
Anyway, I'm back to the notion of battle scars. We three gals are fortyish (shh) so of course, we've experienced a bit of, well, life...kind of like the old bungalow...

remodel [riːˈmɒdəl] Verb

  1. do over, as of (part of) a house; "We are remodeling these rooms." cause to change; make different; cause a transformation
  2. cast or model anew; "She is remaking her image."
"There is something beautiful about all scars of whatever nature. A scar means the hurt is over, the wound is closed and healed, done with." ~Harry Crews
* * * * *
A lovely thought, don't you think?
Oh, but so elusive...

2 comments:

  1. I love you Stephanie - what a beautiful post!
    Liz has worked her magic on that floor - she's coming back this evening to finish it up. That girl has a gift! It was so great hanging out with you all last night! We'll do it again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I love you, Jami. You are such a dear, dear friend. xoxo

    ReplyDelete