01 May 2010

Have Passport, Will Travel

The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Today I received an unexpected smile! Esteemed author and illustrator, Ms. Vanessa Brantley-Newton whom I referenced in an earlier post (see Ooh La La Design Studio), left a decidedly precious comment on my blog. Although no passport is necessary for travel to East Orange, New Jersey, her place is worth a second mention. I plan to visit her often! I hope you will too.

Just last evening I spent time with an 'old' friend...not old in terms of years, of course, but rather in terms of longevity. We've known each other since we were 5 year-olds, since the time I fell in love with her mad, sky blue, ankle strap platform sandals. (They obviously made a lasting impression!) Anyway, Jami's passport is chock-full of international stamps and, thanks to her, I am in the midst of visiting Queensland myself. You simply must visit Anna Spiro at her blog, Absolutely Beautiful Things. The title is self-explanatory. Her interior design work is absolutely beautiful. It's worth the trip Down Under to see her design mixes of vintage and modern.

I've metioned her before but can't help but do so again. I love Bertie Meadows. Her blog is a dream from across the pond. I discovered her more than a year ago and return often for a visit. I read her words and study her photos with interest, and am reminded that whether you are a mum or a mom, this world isn't really such a big place after all. Mothers everywhere are diligently striving to make their houses a home, and to raise their families with memories and laughter. I never dull of these trips to the UK.

Unbeknownst to me, I have also been traveling to Norway for more than a year now. Modern Country is an exquisite blog, especially if you love French Country decorating and the color white. The "problem" for me is [or rather, was], the blog is written entirely in a language I've never studied. I have pored over these incredible photographs for so long and until today, never noticed the "translate" button at the top of the blog. I am happy to have found it (and to have figured out that I've been in Scandanavia all along)...but truly, I have enjoyed devouring each picture and reaching an understanding with only my eyes. The companion blog, Aina's Charm, offers unique vintage handmade linens for sale. Foreign currency exchange information is available. These sites are such a treat!

This past week I returned to Japan, not in actuality but in spirit. I was compelled to share a 円玉 (5-yen coin) with a friend. It is believed to bring good karma to those who possess it and I am certainly hoping this proves to be true! I was reminded of the time I spent in Tokyo several years ago. It still amazes me that in a city of nearly 13 million people, I was able to wander 50 feet or so from my belongings to take a photograph...and never have to worry that these would disappear. It still amazes me that although language barriers were present (Three Japanese college courses do not, I repeat, do NOT equate fluency!), I was able to wander the city awhile without my translator friend...purchasing souvenirs, food, and even exchanging currency at a local bank...all because the people of this culture are so incredibly gracious. It still amazes me that no matter where I roam, the Land of the Rising Sun is just that...a mere sunrise away. You can visit Nihon, too... at the Japan National Tourism Organization. You won't be disappointed!

It is not down in any map; true places never are. ~Herman Melville

Itadakimasu! Let's eat! Whether you prefer the local fare or meals with international flavor, you will love, love, love this site. (I don't even enjoy eating pancakes, but Laura Pennington's renditions are the cutest things I've ever seen!) Visit They Draw and Cook (Recipe Renderings by Artists, Illustrators and Designers). I promise ~ it will whet your appetite! Bon appetit!

Whether you journey by plane, by car or by heart, please remember this much:

The most important trip you may take in life is meeting people halfway.

~Henry Boye

2 comments:

  1. Stephanie - I am so glad you love it! I absolutely love her sensibility. If you have not checked out decor8 that is another really good design blog- she also has a blog called HausMaus chronically her life in Germany - moved from New England to Germany last year. Beautiful things. Had a blast last night. We had a great lunch with the Hartley's today - wish Shannon could have been there last night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Jami...another passport stamp awaits. I'll be in touch. xoxo.

    ReplyDelete