16 May 2010

That Little Black Dress

I just bought my second "little black dress" in as many weeks. An addiction? Maybe.
"Scheherezade is easy; a little black dress is difficult." ~Coco Chanel
My middle daughter loves all things Paris and fully intends to work there as a fashion designer someday. At 9, she is already determined. So was Coco. In Ally's room, one can also read these words by Chanel...

Dress shabbily and they remember the dress; dress impeccably and they remember the woman.

A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous.

I don't understand how a woman can leave the house without fixing herself up a little - if only out of politeness. And then, you never know, maybe that's the day she has a date with destiny. And it's best to be as pretty as possible for destiny.

And one of my favorites (which is NOT in my child's room):

A woman is closest to being naked when she is well dressed.

I think this 'little black dress business' of late has a lot to do with age...and my present attitude, of course. I've been in a Holly Golightly mood lately.

"I knew damn well I would never be a movie star. It's too hard; and if you are intelligent, it's too embarrassing. My complexes aren't inferior enough: being a movie star and having a big fat ego are supposed to go hand-in-hand; actually, it's essential not to have any ego at all. I don't mean I'd mind being rich and famous. That's very much on my schedule, and someday I'll try and get around to it; but if it happens, I'd like to have my ego, tagging along. I want to still be me when I wake up one fine morning and have breakfast at Tiffany's."
~Breakfast at Tiffany's

Audrey Hepburn remains iconic in stature. I love her classic elegance...as Holly Golightly and, too, as just herself. She was a beautiful woman inside and out. Apparently I am not the only one who thought so. Interestingly, the black Givenchy dress she wore in Breakfast at Tiffany's sold at auction for $800,000.00.
"For attractive lips, speak words of kindness. For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people. For a slim figure, share your food with the hungry. For beautiful hair, let a child run their fingers through it once a day. For poise, walk with the knowledge that you never walk alone. People, more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed. Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, you will find one at the end of each of your arms. As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands, one for helping yourself and the other for helping others." ~Audrey Hepburn

* * * * *
Anyone who ever gave you confidence, you owe them a lot. ~Truman Capote, Breakfast at Tiffany's, 1958, spoken by the character Holly Golightly
* * * * *
I do owe you a lot ~ my bestest, the one who thought I was worth it and made me believe it too. xoxo
* * * * *
And now for my next plan...As much as I love the story, I do not own a copy of Truman Capote's Breakfast at Tiffany's. And so it is once again time to go shopping, this time for a book. Summer vacation is going to begin in grand style!
"I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles." ~AH

No comments:

Post a Comment