09 May 2010

Mother of Mine

"My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune." ~Graycie Harmon

Another Mother's Day has come and gone. This year, the celebration felt different. It felt so real in a way that it had not in a very long time. I returned home in the wee hours this morning. I had traveled out of town with my daughter yesterday and therefore began the day, in essence, with her ~ my firstborn, as we journeyed home. A lengthy drive provides fodder for much conversation. I enjoyed her company. Even after eighteen years, I am still sometimes amazed that I am her mother. She is a remarkable young lady in spite of me.

"It's not only children who grow. Parents do too. As much as we watch to see what our children do with their lives, they are watching us to see what we do with ours. I can't tell my children to reach for the sun. All I can do is reach for it, myself."

~Joyce Maynard

After a bit of extra sleep this morning, I awoke to a card that McKenzie had designed in her Graphic Arts class. It contained a picture of her from her childhood, original artwork and verse, and it looked so...professional! My child is gifted (of course)! Ally had written a poem, gathered heirloom roses, and painted a rock with the words, "My mom rocks" across it. The truth is...Ally rocks! Of that, there is no doubt. And little Lane bestowed a special gift as well. Her artwork was an illustration of one of her favorite activities...a Bounce House. How sweet of her to draw a picture of something she loves, and share it with someone she loves. My daughters are children after my own heart. I love you girls.

"A mother is the truest friend we have, when trials heavy and sudden, fall upon us; when adversity takes the place of prosperity; when friends who rejoice with us in our sunshine dessert us; when trouble thickens around us, still will she cling to us, and endeavor by her kind precepts and counsels to dissipate the clouds of darkness, and cause peace to return to our hearts." ~Washington Irving

None of today's joy would have been possible if I had not first been blessed by one of God's greatest gifts, my own mother. Like most children, I did not always appreciate her. There are times even now when I don't show my appreciation enough. It is an overwhelming task, though, isn't it? Really, how can you show enough appreciation to the woman who has made all the difference?

I love you, mom, so very much.

“A mother's love is patient and forgiving when all others are forsaking, it never fails or falters, even though the heart is breaking.” ~Helen Rice

I can't sign off without first acknowledging the "other mothers" that make all the difference in the lives of their children. I witness their influence each day as I interact with custodial fathers who stop by my classroom. I see this evidenced on the soccer fields as dads coach their children in so much more than just the sport. And I smile as I think of my friend who is both mother and father to his children...not so much out of necessity, but by choice.

* * *

My father used to play with my brother and me in the yard. Mother would come out and say, "You're tearing up the grass." "We're not raising grass," Dad would reply. "We're raising boys."

~Harmon Killebrew

He didn't tell me how to live; he lived, and let me watch him do it.

~Clarence Budington Kelland


Children Learn What They Live

~ Dorothy Law Nolte, Ph.D.

If children live with criticism, they learn to condemn.If children live with hostility, they learn to fight.If children live with fear, they learn to be apprehensive.If children live with pity, they learn to feel sorry for themselves.If children live with ridicule, they learn to feel shy.If children live with jealousy, they learn to feel envy.If children live with shame, they learn to feel guilty.If children live with encouragement, they learn confidence.If children live with tolerance, they learn patience.If children live with praise, they learn appreciation.If children live with acceptance, they learn to love.If children live with approval, they learn to like themselves.If children live with recognition, they learn it is good to have a goal.If children live with sharing, they learn generosity.If children live with honesty, they learn truthfulness.If children live with fairness, they learn justice.If children live with kindness and consideration, they learn respect.If children live with security, they learn to have faith in themselves and in those about them.If children live with friendliness, they learn the world is a nice place in which to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment