28 April 2010

Ooh La La

Today is splendid! The view outside my window is astounding. I am a child of the 1970's... I remember how my mother used to collect S&H Green Stamps from the grocery store and fill blank booklets with them. Perhaps you remember these too. I have never forgotten the vivid illustrations - now 'vintage' of course - of those Green Stamp books. In them, the sky was always technicolor blue and the trees were so very, very green. To this day, I think of days like today as "Green Stamp" days... The colors in my periphery are crayon-perfect.

On a similar note (vintage, that is) my sister sent me information about a blog I can't wait to investigate! Check out Vanessa Brantley-Newton's Ooh La La Design Studio by clicking on the name. The original illustrations on her blog header took me back to happy places in my childhood. She is also a writer, a mother, and in so many other ways a phenomenal American woman. I can't wait to get to know her better! I hope you'll visit her too. Vanessa also enjoys collecting vintage children's books. This, I can relate to. As a first grade teacher and archivist of memories, I was inspired to take down my own First Grade Reader from the shelf where I keep it in my classroom. It made me think of Mrs. Ailor and the days of Tip and Mitten. I'm glad these friends are never really too far away.

So once again my thoughts return to my dad...of days when I was young and he called me "Chicken Legs," of a time when I was older and he searched desperately to find an out-of-print copy of a favorite book, The Adventures of a Whale, just to make me smile. I am reminded of my mother and the endless stories shared while sitting on her lap. What a blessing!

THE READING MOTHER

Strickland Gillilan

I HAD A MOTHER who read to me
Sagas of pirates who scoured the sea,
Cutlasses clenched in their yellow teeth,
"Blackbirds" stowed in the hold beneath

I had a Mother who read me lays
Of ancient and gallant and golden days;
Stories of Marmion and Ivanhoe,
Which every boy has a right to know.

I had a Mother who read me tales
Of Celert the hound of the hills of Wales,
True to his trust till his tragic death,
Faithfulness blent with his final breath.

I had a Mother who read me the things
That wholesome life to the boy heart brings-
Stories that stir with an upward touch,
Oh, that each mother of boys were such.

You may have tangible wealth untold;
Caskets of jewels and coffers of gold.
Richer than I you can never be --
I had a mother who read to me.

Christina Rossetti said it is "Better by far you should forget and smile than that you should remember and be sad." Sometimes, though, that which makes us sad also makes us smile. I am thankful for the memories...

I hope you are blessed enough to enjoy sweet sentiments and create happy memories with your own family. Here's a recipe for comfort food that you simply MUST try. Thank you, Amy. I know this doesn't happen often, but even this big sister must admit she can learn a thing or two from you... This lesson is a delicious one!

Amy's Chicken Pot Pie
(the only one I'll eat)

Yields 2 pies

(one to eat, one to share...or freeze for later!)

  • 4 pie crusts (rolled variety works best, at least for the pie tops)
  • meat from 1 rotisserie chicken (or 4 cooked chicken breasts, plus 1/4 cup water and 2 bouillon cubes)
  • 2 cans mixed vegetables, drained (keep juice from one can if using rotisserie chicken)
  • 1 can cream of chicken soup
  • 8 oz. cream cheese
  • salt and pepper to taste

Mix ingredients. Divide and place into two pie shells. Top the pot pies with remaining shells. Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes. Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. Hello and Hello again! I was so excited and happy when I saw your wonderful comments left at my blog. You blog is beautiful indeed. What great memories I got while looking at those S&H green stamps that really took me back and I now you've got me wanting to find some!!! LOL!!!! Since I work in collage I would love to put a couple into a few pieces. How wonderful is God that He, in His loving kindness would bring us together in blogland, HE IS AWESOME!!!! It is a true honor to meet you. There is a very special place in my heart for teachers. Thank you for such a wonderful write up! I am honored and touched by your kindness towards me. God Bless you and keep you and make His beautiful face shine upon you and give you much peace and creativity. I know that we are going to be good blogger buddies he hehe hehehe!
    Have a great weekend.
    Vanessa Brantley-Newton

    ReplyDelete