20 April 2010

Where Corn Don't Grow

So today's title is a bit interesting, true? There are several reasons for it, actually. I am finally receiving some recompense for my new mantra...positive thoughts bring positive results. In the classroom we have engaged in various author studies to examine the power of words. Kevin Henkes, Cynthia Rylant, and most recently Patricia Polacco, are a few of our famous friends who are helping us to develop our skills as young authors. I love WORDS and my students do too. Rich language has been our focus in an effort to write pieces that are more interesting to our audiences.

They can because they think they can. ~Voltaire
My students are such intelligent and creative children, and because I believe so strongly in their innate abilities they, in turn, believe in themselves. Let me show you what I mean:

"In the night sky the wind whispered,
the trees whooshed as the coyotes howled,
and the mountains grew high,
the stars twinkled,
and the owls whooed..."


Ella just recently turned 7 but is already able to communicate vivid imagery of her world...that which is around her, and that which remains (for now) only in her imagination. Here she sits with her head in her hand, contemplating her next project. She is very serious about her work. This makes me smile. Someone special told me "The bigger the dreams, the bigger the accomplishments." I am thankful Ella sees the fruit of this already.

So now let's return to the place where the "corn don't grow." There are those close to me who are facing the inevitable goodbyes of children, the financial stresses associated with a disappointing economy, the heartbreak of loss, and the pain of sicknesses that always seem to stay... It is so tempting to chase the grass that is greener along someone else's road. Stop. Count your blessings...by 2's, 5's or even 10's. Just count them. Be childlike in your belief that potential has no boundaries. The green that lies along someone else's path could, quite frankly, be little more than weeds.

But hard times are real
There's dusty fields no matter where you go
You may change your mind
'Cause the weeds are high where corn don't grow.
lyrics by M. Springer and R. Murrah

No comments:

Post a Comment