23 April 2010

A Few (more) of My Favorite Things

Okay, so maybe everything I'm about to enumerate doesn't qualify as a favorite. Maybe it's just today's springtime mood that has me alert...and appreciative...and in awe. The labels don't really matter much to me. Today's note is about the things that have made me happy thus far today. I wonder if you'll find something here that will make you smile too.

  • Moleskine lined journals from Barnes and Noble...I keep these with me always ~ in my purse, in my car, beside my bed.
  • the humor of a 4 year-old who has decided to rename her mother "Jim Bob"...(I don't understand it, but it's funny to her!)
  • rain that falls to give new opportunity to the Earth
  • colonial house plans by McKie Roth Designs
  • Abercrombie and Fitch Classic perfume
  • the dandelion that begs to thrive despite being repeatedly cut down...It returns, to be carried by the wind and experience rebirth in a neighbor's yard.
  • The Daily Book of Positive Quotations...the scent of pressed pages among the sentiments
  • Mothers and fathers who, above all else, put their children before themselves...who offer them as their legacy of hope to a world that is slowly but surely forgetting what hope is
  • the intentions of children who have not lost their belief in the power of their own potential
  • laughter...and the silence of smiles and thoughts shared with a good friend in a special place...That place has a name. You know it well.
  • the sounds of my heart...Pachebel's Canon in D...Yiruma's piano, speaking the unvoiced words of River Flows in You...the minor key of The Lonely Man Theme from childhood's episodes of The Incredible Hulk...These are all so powerful.

As the weekend begins in earnest, I look forward to my daughter's soccer tournament in Columbia. I don't particularly care for the town (no hills? no way!) but there is always sunshine where my Ally exists. I love that about her. She always makes me smile.

“Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air."

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

This one is for you, Ally. Play well, my sweet girl. I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment