24 August 2010

What Lies Ahead

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it--walk."  ~Ayn Rand

 It is such a simple thought, yet it makes me want to move...to keep putting one foot in front of the other ~ and not just when the mood strikes, but rather, steadfastly so.

 Here's how my day began: I finally fell asleep after my usual bouts of insomnia, then proceeded to oversleep.  Regardless, I made it to work on time, and enjoyed a text from a loyal friend who wished me a good day and said, "You're the best first grade teacher ever!!"  Isn't that sweet?!  And at 8:50 a.m., as I arrived at the library to pick up my students, one of them told me, "You're looking good."  (I don't hear that often from six year-olds.)  But back to the quote...  Summarily, it says to me that life "is what it is."  Make the most of it.  I suppose that's what happened this morning...and it worked.

Later today I received an e-mail from my college freshman.  The subject line contained no words, only "$$$$$$$$".  She then delineated certain expenditures at the university bookstore.  The list was followed with an apology.  "Sorry for running you dry.  Love you."  Hey, at least she has a heart.  I love you too, McKenzie, so very much.

On a totally random note (because it's MY blog and I can be random if I want) ~ This picture makes me smile.  Fall is coming (my favorite season) and yesterday I found THE cutest little bottles of apple juice in the store. The only thing missing is the stem and a leaf! I don't even drink this stuff, but tonight...well, maybe with some mulling spices and a cinnamon stick, I might just have a change of heart.
On the menu tonight is Chicken Pot Pie.  This is one meal I only recently learned to love.  (Please, don't mix my vegetables together and expect me to eat them...at least until now, that is!)  I believe the recipe is somewhere in a previous post, but I'm typing it again anyway.  It's that good.  Some things are worth a second round.  

Easy Chicken Pot Pie
Yield:  2 pies
One for now...One for later! 
  • 4 rolled pie crusts
  • 1 rotisserie chicken
  • 2 cans mixed vegetables
  • 1 can cream of chicken soup
  • 1 block cream cheese (8 oz.)
  • pepper, to taste
 Mix together the filling ingredients (after discarding the skin and bones from the chicken, of course!).  Do not drain the vegetables.  Divide and place the mixture into two pie crusts, topping with the remaining crusts.  Bake for 45 minutes at 375 degrees.  (These pies may be frozen as well.  Thaw at room temperature before baking.)  Enjoy.
A final thought ~  The Constitution only guarantees the American people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself. ~Benjamin Franklin 

1 comment:

  1. Any family post that starts w/ Ayn Rand has my vote :)

    ReplyDelete