30 August 2010

Free

“How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” ~Wayne Dyer

I learned this lesson from my dad.  It was not one he intended to teach.  Nevertheless, he delivered it rather effectively.  In the difficult years before he passed away, he was often angry with me.  The primary cause was simply that I would not argue back.  I had already learned, however, that it's not always possible to reason with others.  I kept my chin up and my head held high...and now, as a result, I am able to look back and focus on the times with him that still make me smile.

As I look outside my window at the rain, I think of how desperately I need a hug from my dad today.  Maybe, just maybe, he'd tell me it really wasn't my fault.  After all, an apology is the best way to have the last word.

No comments:

Post a Comment