17 August 2010

A Hug of Words

It has a special place on my workspace, resting beside my computer at work.  I've looked at it...read from it...each and every school day since last December.  It was, and remains, a treasured gift from a treasured friend.  It is The Daily Book of Positive Quotations by Linda Picone.  Positive is the operative word here.  It is true:  I am a recovering pessimist. 

“Life is all about timing... the unreachable becomes reachable, the unavailable become available, the unattainable... attainable. Have the patience, wait it out. It's all about timing.” ~Stacey Charter

Perhaps it is the timing of this post that has me seeing it~this sweet little book~with new eyes.  It was exactly one year ago when my life began to change, and so today, I am reflective.  I am also feeling a bit solitary in my thoughts and am longing for a hug.  That is one of the reasons I write.  My words come back, again and again to envelop me.  They are my 'hug' when no arms are near.

The quotation dated August 17th says this:  "Make voyages! Attempt them! There's nothing else." ~Tennessee Williams~    How very appropriate.  The past year has marked quite an adventure.  I expect no less from this next one.  “Take chances, make mistakes. That's how you grow. Pain nourishes your courage. You have to fail in order to practice being brave.” ~Mary Tyler Moore

Although I am feeling a bit sentimental today, I am also excited to begin the school year anew.  I am ready for the changing seasons and the accompanying excitement.  (Autumn is such a thought-provoking time.)  And some new, personal, educational pursuits loom on the horizon.  I am ready.  “Nothing happens by chance, my friend... No such thing as luck. A meaning behind every little thing, and such a meaning behind this. Part for you, part for me, may not see it all real clear right now, but we will, before long.” ~Richard Bach

For whatever reason, before publishing this post I picked up my book and held it to my face.  I love the smell of books...some better than others.  Somehow the print on the back cover had escaped me until now.  "Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson~    Those are powerful words.  Words to live by.  And so today I write it on my heart...Today is the best day in the year.  I wish the same for you.  You cannot imagine how strongly I do.  xoxo ~S.

“The two important things I did learn were that you are as powerful and strong as you allow yourself to be, and that the most difficult part of any endeavour is taking the first step, making the first decision.”
~Robyn Davidson

...which reminds me of a Chinese proverb I've posted before:  The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.  Today, I take my first.  Again.

No comments:

Post a Comment