31 August 2010

The Good Life


It is a cloudy day.  Storms are brewing.  I know this not because of anything the meteorologist said.  I know this because first graders are extremely accurate barometers.  After years of interacting with them, I've learned how to gauge the changing of the weather.

Today has been filled with many first grade blessings (barometers, aside).  From Sid, I received a heartfelt gift.  He wanted me to have the tickets he earned while playing games at Bonkers.  He could have saved them toward a prize.  Instead, his teacher ended up the winner.

Later in Writer's Workshop ~ as we were
"sharing our thinking" and discussing our plans for our pieces ~ Kadence showed the class an interesting illustration.  She had "sketched" (yes, it's a literary tool, too) her idea and will add the words tomorrow.  She will be writing about Mrs. Green's workspace.  She specifically pointed out the plant atop the tall cubby.  The smallest details really do matter!  I have no idea what inspired her to write about my small group teaching area, but I suspect Miss Kadence has a future career in mind.

And then there is the matter of my mail.  "My" first graders are always mine, even when they move on to the second grade...or third...or twelfth.  The third graders are working on friendly letters right now.  One of my former students, who attended a different school last year, has returned...

Dear Mrs. Green,

Hello! It's been a long time since I saw you!  How are you doing today?  I am doing fine.  You have been my best teacher in the whole world and you always look pretty!  Did you know that I am in the third grade?  I just can't stop thinking about you.  You were very nice and I was so happy when I got to see you!  I am always shy.  I don't know why.  But when I see you I will hug you or wave bye!

Your pal,
Tyanna

Hugs are nice, Tyanna.  Your letter is just the kind I needed.  And I nearly forgot...There was one more note taped to the inside of my mailbox: 

Steph,

Loved watching the story sharing time.  The Principal Pal "Stars" who came to the office told me all about it!  Keep up the great work! 

Lorie (aka "the principal")

Wow!  Sometimes you have no idea who's watching through the window. 

Thought for the day:

"Work like you don't need money,
Love like you've never been hurt,
And dance like no one's watching."

Today was a very good day.  I am grateful.  xoxo, ~S.

No comments:

Post a Comment