04 August 2010

Natalia

Here I go again.  I'm thinking and writing when I should be studying.  I have a test to take this weekend,  an important one, but all these words are building inside my head and my focus is elsewhere.  I've decided, though, that it is important for these words to be introduced to paper, or to blog, if I am going to find any degree of productivity as the evening progresses.  Besides, I'll then have more room in there (my head, of course) to focus on formulas and analogies and writing prompts and and and...  I keep telling myself it'll be okay.  I've seriously mastered the art of procrastination.  (The first step in any 12-step program is admitting you are powerless.  Yep, I'm toast.)

My friend and coworker, Nat, posted this on her Facebook page the other night:  "Ray Bradbury said, 'I jump off the cliff and build my wings on the way down.' Has there ever been a time that you did this in your life?"  My quick reply:  "Yep, it's called 'I may be nuts but I'm going for a doctorate anyway.' Wings to follow...I hope."  As I said, Nat is a dear, dear friend.  The words that followed are among the sweetest sentiments she's ever shared with me:

Steph, your wings are there... always have been...if YOU are what 40 looks like...I'm not so worried. ;-)
Dear Nat,
I love you.  I love your smile and enthusiasm for life.  I love your passion for helping others and your zest in the classroom.  I love that you continue to engage in educational pursuits above and beyond what is expected.  I am so proud of you for earning that scholarship for yet another Master's Degree.  Mizzou recognizes the gem that is uniquely you...  I was already well aware of that fact, however.  Just know that even though your politics are askew (hey, it's my blog and I can say what I want), I wouldn't change you one bit (except maybe at the polls).  I am blessed to have you as my pal.  xoxo, ~Greenjeans

2 comments:

  1. Well, I always knew you were a gifted writer, but I still neglected to follow your thoughts to this nice little corner of the world. :) A treat lies here, your deepest thoughts and dreams, shared in a way that exposes your inner most being to admiring masses...well maybe it's a few people, but nonetheless I love it! :) I'm hooked and I especially love the things you list along the right that further illustrate who you are. Once Wed is especially delightful...it's still a way off, but my mind wanders there frequently...because I am simply and graciously in love...or should I say i.am.simple.love

    ReplyDelete
  2. *sigh* Just as in Henkes' Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse: "Wow. That's about all she could say. Wow." Thank you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete