15 July 2010

The Thing With Feathers

"Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings tunes without words and never stops at all."
- Emily Dickinson

Today I'm feeling introspective.  I had a conversation with a friend a day or so ago who said to me, "You are such a giver."  My response: "I think I'll relish that comment."  I am a very selfish girl.  (Did I mention very?)  It was nice to be reminded by someone dear that sometimes...sometimes, I give a little bit too.  Thank you.  And then there's the matter of another message I recently received.  I was invited to a friend's home, and the invitation was followed by this text:  "Come over late if you're not doing anything. We're missing you!  Hubby commented that he could talk to you for hours!  AGREED!"  Suffice it to say, I was flattered.  Oh, and she also told me they love me.  (I'm always happy to hear those words.) Wow, I love them too.  Thanks for making me smile!

Like I said, though, I'm selfish.  I'm missing a friend (maybe even two or three) whom I rarely see.  I can't help it.  Sometimes you just can't get enough of a good thing.  If I had a single flower for every time I think about you, I could walk forever in my garden. ~Claudia Ghandi

There's really not much more I can say on the matter.  For once, I'll let some others have the final say.

No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth. ~Robert Southey

Why can't we get all the people together in the world that we really like and then just stay together? I guess that wouldn't work. Someone would leave. Someone always leaves. Then we would have to say good-bye. I hate good-byes. I know what I need. I need more hellos.
~Charles M. Schulz

I think we dream so we don't have to be apart so long. If we're in each other's dreams, we can play together all night.
~Bill Watterson, Calvin & Hobbes
 
And with that, I think I'll call it a night.  Sweet dreams... 

No comments:

Post a Comment