27 July 2010

As the Angels Give

If instead of a gem, or even a flower, we should cast the gift of a loving thought into the heart of a friend, that would be giving as the angels give. ~George MacDonald

"The stage is waiting for you."  That is what she said ~ my friend.  "Look around and you will find the greatest treasure of all: friendship." That is what it said ~ my fortune cookie.  The BEST of friends don't make you work for it.  That is what I said ~ about the latter.  My commentary.  (I am never at a loss of opinion, but you already know that.)  And so when my friend told me the stage is mine, I couldn't help but smile.  She gave me a gift I didn't ask for...but somehow needed (and she didn't even make me work for it). xoxo  "The greatest gift you can give another is the purity of your attention.” ~Richard Moss
*     *     *
This is an absolute first...a day of the triple-post.  I should be editing a paper but I cannot help myself.  Here are a few reasons why, compliments of a few more of my very fine friends:

It is necessary to write, if the days are not to slip emptily by. How else, indeed, to clap the net over the butterfly of the moment? For the moment passes, it is forgotten; the mood is gone; life itself is gone. That is where the writer scores over his fellows: he catches the changes of his mind on the hop. ~Vita Sackville-West
 
You write to communicate to the hearts and minds of others what's burning inside you. And we edit to let the fire show through the smoke. ~Arthur Polotnik

Words - so innocent and powerless as they are, as standing in a dictionary, how potent for good and evil they become in the hands of one who knows how to combine them. ~Nathaniel Hawthorne
 
To me, the greatest pleasure of writing is not what it's about, but the inner music the words make.
~Truman Capote, McCall's, November 1967

Ink on paper is as beautiful to me as flowers on the mountains; God composes, why shouldn't we?
~Terri Guillemets

There's nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and open a vein. ~Walter Wellesley "Red" Smith

Every word born of an inner necessity - writing must never be anything else. ~Etty Hillesum

The maker of a sentence launches out into the infinite and builds a road into Chaos and old Night, and is followed by those who hear him with something of wild, creative delight. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

A perfectly healthy sentence, it is true, is extremely rare. For the most part we miss the hue and fragrance of the thought; as if we could be satisfied with the dews of the morning or evening without their colors, or the heavens without their azure. ~Henry David Thoreau

Ink surrounds me all the time
On my bed sheets, recorded in rhyme
Quills ever scribbling in my head
Sometimes damnit I forget what they said.
Ink has settled into my fingerprints
But to keep the words I fear to rinse...
~Terri Guillemets

Find out the reason that commands you to write; see whether it has spread its roots into the very depth of your heart; confess to yourself you would have to die if you were forbidden to write. ~Rainer Maria Rilke

Writing became such a process of discovery that I couldn't wait to get to work in the morning: I wanted to know what I was going to say. ~Sharon O'Brien

*     *     *
And tonight, the frenzy...  It's true.


The only cure for writer's block is insomnia.
~Merit Antares  
(That explains my recurring "date" with 2:13 a.m.)

Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia. ~E.L. Doctorow

The most beautiful things are those that madness prompts and reason writes. ~André Gide, Journals, 1894

If I don't write to empty my mind, I go mad. ~Lord Byron

You said you needed a moment of my time.  Instead, I stole a moment of yours.  I hope you don't mind, my friend.  This one's for you.  Enjoy.  ~S.

No comments:

Post a Comment