26 July 2010

Defiance

...an appropriate name for a town, I think, especially considering the historical stature of the man who tamed this wild land of "Spanish Louisiana."   I was born in this particular region (Kirkwood, actually), and spent my childhood in a town a few hours down the highway further west.  Despite the distance of miles, I might have once upon a time (perhaps) claimed Daniel Boone as a neighbor.  I like that thought. I particularly like the synonyms his name conjures up in my mind...strength, vitality, fortitude, courage, and always good judgment of others.  These traits are worthy of emulation, yet appear in short supply in modern times.  To do so ~ that is, to assume a character indicative of Boone's style ~ projects a sense of independent defiance.  Independently defiant.  I like that thought.  I've been called worse...
*     *     *  
 The Defiance Tavern..."bar food" at its best.  The pork tenderloin sandwich is worth every bite.

 All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife. ~Daniel Boone

I'm glad it worked for him.  As for me, I have my own gun.  Wives and horses, however, are just not my thing. 

Back of the house...yes, the back.
Front of the house...four stories strong.
The view from the third story porch, looking out over Daniel's forest, now tamed...
Felicity, the companion of content, is rather found in our own breasts than in the enjoyment of external things; and I firmly believe it requires but a little philosophy to make a man happy in whatever state he is. ~Daniel Boone

A dwelling erected elsewhere by Nathan Boone and later moved to this site, built only to satisfy the Spanish Government...  Property obtained through land grants was to be improved upon or returned to government ownership.


de·fi·ant/diˈfīənt/

Gutsy, rebellious, daring.

i.am.sanders
That's me.

No comments:

Post a Comment