13 June 2009

Welcome to the World

I confess. I've been keeping a secret! For the past three days (or so) baby finches have snuggled soundly in their nest on my porch. I noticed them quite by accident. As I lowered the planter to water the flowers (and not drown the eggs), I became frighteningly aware that something was in the nest. Upon closer inspection, it was apparent that this something was baby birds. I had expected to see small birds, beaks open, eagerly awaiting lunch. (My experience with newborns is limited to human beings.) I worried that something was wrong... They were little pink things with no feathers and the biggest, unopened, eyes. (I think the phrase, "a face that only a mother could love" originated with this species...but what adorable creatures they become!) And so, I am waiting for my new friends to grow a bit more before I take their picture and share it with you. Interestingly, like all good fathers, the male finch is attentive to the female during nesting, and he helps to care for the young before they fledge.

As I continue to watch this family of finches interact and as Father's Day approaches, I am especially grateful to my husband. His steadfast love and encouragement of our children is priceless. My prayer for you is that your children are likewise blessed.

"Father! - to God himself we cannot give a holier name."
~William Wordsworth

No comments:

Post a Comment