23 June 2009

South of the Border...Ole!

I did it! I received a compliment from my husband about last night's supper. This is a rare treat. (He can't help it...he's honest.) I made another of my "cooking club" meals and this is one that I created! I can't wait for you to try it! The recipe below is designed for six 8"x8" pans. The next time I prepare it for freezing, I'll assemble it in three 9"x13" pans instead...OR you could also divide the ingredients by one-third for a single, 9x13 family-size meal.

Mexican Stuffed Pasta Shells
(again, this recipe is the large-batch version and the instructions are for a plan-ahead-stick-it-in-the-freezer-or-give-it-to-a-friend-in-need type of meal)

90 jumbo pasta shells,
(about 3 boxes)
6 medium onions
6 lbs. lean ground beef
3 Tbsp. chili powder
1 lb. cream cheese,
room temperature
4.5 cups taco sauce
6 cups Colby Jack cheese,
shredded (4 oz.)
3 cups corn chips
six 8" square pans
(or three 9"x13" pans)
12 small zipper bags
(or 6 small bags if using three pans)

Prepare: Cook ground beef and onion. Drain. Cook pasta shells and drain. Package 1 cup of shredded cheese in small zipper bag. Package 1/2 cup corn chips in another small zipper bag.
Assemble: Reheat beef. Stir in chili powder, cream cheese, and 1/3 of the taco sauce. Heat until cream cheese is melted. Spray pans with non-stick spray. Fill each pasta shell with about 2 tablespoons of meat mixture and place in pan. Pour 2/3 of taco sauce over filled shells. Cover with foil. Add one bag of cheese and one bag of chips and store meal kit in a gallon-size freezer bag.
Serve: Thaw. Bake covered at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese and chips. Bake uncovered for 10 additional minutes. Garnish with green onion and sour cream. Enjoy!
Hint: If freezing this dinner, you may wish to add additional taco, enchilada, or tomato sauce over the dish to completely cover noodles. This should prevent the noodles from drying out.
And for dessert...

These Farmstand Candles from Wal Mart are, in a word, delicious! I'm in love with the Sugared Pears and Fresh Picked Apples. And the timeworn look of the canisters reminds me of yesterdays at Grandma's house in the country.

On another note...
Recently my family journeyed to Eureka Springs, Arkansas. The scenery was beautiful. If you go, you must stop by Wilson & Wilson Folkart Co. The owner, Ms. Blakeley Wilson, is a ray of sunshine! She is a self-taught artist who paints in-shop. Her folk art pieces are amazing! (Click on the link, visit "shop online" and read About the Artist.) Here are a few sweet treats I picked up during my visit... The watering can will hold a glass vase or jar so you can enjoy fresh flowers anytime. And the polka dot, large wooden mug...I can't wait to fill it with sweet surprises for my classroom visitors!

And this sweet pillow made from old quilts and scrap fabric reminds me that there really is
no place like home.

1 comment:

  1. I saw those candles at Walmart. Once you burn them, can you really smell them throughout your home?? You know how some candles smell good in the container, but don't really disperse well. Just curious.. I so wanted to try them.

    ReplyDelete