23 June 2009

Happiness

After an enjoyable, l-e-n-g-t-h-y spring, summer has ARRIVED in the midwest. Today's heat index is 110 degrees, and to step outside is to step into a sweltering sauna of humid air. It takes my breath away at the mention of it! Summer is my least favorite season for this reason...I abhor sweat, mosquitoes, followed by even more sweat and mosquitoes. And yet I have titled this post 'Happiness'. I am turning over a new leaf, or at least trying. I'm going to sit in the air conditioning and dream of fall (and winter and, yes, snow!), all while appreciating the joys that even I can find during summertime.
First ~ Very soon the little guests in my flower basket will soar to new heights and leave my front porch for good. I have enjoyed getting to know them. I have tried often to photograph them before they go, but as there were six in the nest, it has been very difficult to capture them distinctly with the camera. The little birds continue to huddle together and I cannot be certain that all of them remain. I am sure, though, that there are at least three sweet house finches growing and preparing to grace my yard with their presence. I will miss visiting them everyday.

Second ~ I love a good thunderstorm... the sounds, the lightning across the sky, the smell of the coming rain. Just last week my daughter called me outdoors to see the sun. It was my favorite time of day...dusk...and I couldn't imagine there was any sun left to see. While she saw the rays etched against the coming night, I saw the clouds bringing the anticipated storm. Both encouraged a smile.

Next ~ For all of my married life I have been quite hopeless in the kitchen. I have yet to find my niche there. Recently some great friends and I gathered for 'cooking club', also known as 'freezer cooking'. The goal is to prepare meals and have them ready in the freezer when needed. (Can you sense my excitement?) We each chose two recipes, and made and assembled enough of each for six families. It was my first foray into this type of sorority and honestly, I'm questioning whether or not the meals are sizeable enough to feed my family. (An 8x8 pan doesn't hold much...especially not in this household.) But I love, love, love the idea of sharing recipes and good times AND having some meals prepared ahead of time (so I don't have to ponder... What in the world am I going to cook tonight?) Here is a tasty recipe for you. Make ahead and freeze if you'd like! Multiply it and share with your neighbor in need. *Smile*

Chicken Tortilla Soup

1 medium onion, chopped
3 Tbsp. garlic
1 Tbsp. oil
2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
28 ounces crushed tomatoes
1 cup corn
1 can (14 oz.) kidney beans,
rinsed and drained
4 ounces green chopped green chilis
1 can (14 oz.) black beans,
rinsed and drained
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
2 or 3 boneless, skinless checken breasts,
cooked and cubed
1 can chicken broth
1 can water

(Note: You may wish to reduce the amount of cilantro added unless you like a strong cilantro flavor to your dishes.)

Saute onion and garlic in oil. Add everything else (chili powder, Italian seasoning, tomatoes, corn, beans, chilis, cilantro, chicken, broth and water) and stir. [If freezing, place these ingredients into a one-gallon freezer bag. Save chicken broth and water for use during reheating... Add to thawed soup mixture.] Bring to a boil and simmer for 15-25 minutes. Ladle into serving bowls and garnish with avacado, grated Colby Jack cheese, chopped green onion or crushed tortilla chips if desired. Enjoy!

Finally ~



"The Amen of nature is always a flower."
-Oliver Wendell Holmes

No comments:

Post a Comment