24 February 2011

Red Milk

It is snowing.  Again.  Our blizzard melted into a balmy introduction of what is proving to be an elusive springtime, and now this?  The groundhog must be laughing at his joke as the rain, then snow, falls into troughs of mud (formerly known as "the yard").  It IS only February, I keep reminding myself.  It is not the snow that I dread.  It's the slop.  There are few things more aggravating than an expensive pair of shoes ruined by SLOP.  Ugh.

"Winter"
~Tori Amos

Snow can wait
I forgot my mittens
Wipe my nose
Get my new boots on
I get a little warm in my heart
When I think of winter
I put my hand in my father's glove
I run off
Where the drifts get deeper
Sleeping beauty trips me with a frown
I hear a voice
"Your must learn to stand up for yourself
Cause I can't always be around"
He says

*   *   *

Boys get discovered as winter melts
Flowers competing for the sun
Years go by and I'm here still waiting
Withering where some snowman was
Mirror mirror where's the crystal palace
But I only can see myself
Skating around the truth who I am
But I know dad the ice is getting thin

*     *     *

Hair is grey
And the fires are burning
So many dreams
On the shelf
You say I wanted you to be proud of me
I always wanted that myself

He says
When you gonna make up your mind
When you gonna love you as much as I do
When you gonna make up your mind
Cause things are gonna change so fast
All the white horses have gone ahead
I tell you that I'll always want you near
You say that things change
My dear

*     *     *
Yes, things change.  As a child I was quite confident, yet so unsure.  I certainly never would have done this...



...but I'm finding  It is never too late to give up our prejudices. - Henry David Thoreau...and besides, this snake liked me.  Interestingly, I had a dream just last week about snakes...what I believed to be venomous Coral snakes.  I worried.  Surely it was an omen.  I never paused to think that perhaps it was a good type of omen.  Maybe, afterall, I had actually dreamed of this friendly Red Milk Snake. Today I learned something about myself.  Tony Robbins, a motivational speaker, says Live with passion.  My senses are primed.  Is there any other way, but to live passionately?

   "Dreams"
~Priscilla Ahn 

I was a little girl alone in my little world who dreamed of a little home for me.
I played pretend between the trees, and fed my houseguests bark and leaves, and laughed in my pretty bed of green.

I had a dream
That I could fly from the highest swing.
I had a dream.

Long walks in the dark through woods grown behind the park, I asked God who I'm supposed to be.
The stars smiled down on me, God answered in silent reverie. I said a prayer and fell asleep.

I had a dream
That I could fly from the highest tree.
I had a dream.

Now I'm old and feeling grey. I don't know what's left to say about this life I'm willing to leave.
I lived it full and I lived it well, there's many tales I've lived to tell. I'm ready now, I'm ready now, I'm ready now to fly from the highest wing.

I had a dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment