08 March 2011

Mental Floss

source, Rhonna Designs
I am anxious.  Yesterday morning I spent hours at Mizzou.  There were problem-solving activities, writing assessments, and an interview with professors from the statewide coordinating committee.  The candidates for this next cohort of the Educational Leadership and Policy Analysis doctoral program are impressive.  The competition is strong.  I keep reminding myself of Coach York's words from the other day ~ "You are supposed to feel this way before any competition.  If you do not, then you aren't mentally prepared.  I think you're ready."  I am ready.  I just don't know if the university is ready for me.  I am trusting that whatever happens, whether the committee sends regrets or extends an invitation to research, the answer is meant to be.  I am prayerfully petitioning for strength to accept the response.  A coworker wished me luck and sent me this:  For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.  Jeremiah 29:11

I did not realize the amount of energy I'd expounded (over many months) while contemplating yesterday's activities.  Then, in less than four short hours, it was all over...and I was exhausted.  I celebrated my efforts with a lunch of Lobster Ravioli and Crab Rangoon dip.  I continued by treating myself to three new books: Faulkner's The Sound and the Fury, Willa Cather's Sapphira and the Slave Girl, and a contemporary novel ~ Abraham Verghese's Cutting for Stone.  Dessert consisted of afternoon girl talk at my pal's new shop, CORK.  It was nice to spend time with longtime friends, Jami Thornsberry and Angie Goodin.  Beyond all of that, a lack of sleep and some rather dreary weather has stirred a migraine.  I'm fighting it, however, with doses of medication and dreams of Spring.  A vacation here, Croatia, would be very nice.

source, Full House

I'm signing off before I doze.  I'm planning an evening of spaghetti (with homemade sauce of tomatoes steeped in garlic) and real Italian meatballs, a large glass of skim milk, and a bedtime story.  William Faulkner will do nicely tonight!

~S. 

No comments:

Post a Comment