10 March 2011

Me


“Let the rain kiss you. Let the rain beat upon your head with silver liquid drops. Let the rain sing you a lullaby.” ~Langston Hughes

It has been raining and is dreary, still.  I am not opposed to this weather but am growing tired of adjusting my thermostat accordingly.  I'd really like to forget about my furnace until, say, October.  The urge to run and play is growing stronger.  This evening, I'm afraid my playground will not extend beyond the treadmill.  "Rain! whose soft architectural hands have power to cut stones, and chisel to shapes of grandeur the very mountains."
~Henry Ward Beecher
 
source, dressdesigndecor
This girl is a lot like me.  I appreciate the contradiction of the feminine clothes while perched upon a tree branch.  It reminds me of long ago days and my mother's admonitions to behave like a lady...while simultaneously my father was teaching me how to deliver an effective right hook, should the occasion for defense ever arise.  I was only in the second grade.  “A tough girl, more than anything else, is a girl who doesn’t care if you’re shocked. A tough girl doesn’t sit like a lady or laugh like a little girl. She goes where she shouldn’t, and when she gets there she does exactly what she wants…and she likes it.”  ~Claudia Shear, writer/actress, “Dirty Blonde”  The header of the blog, dress design decor, says this:  "A girl should be two things:  classy and fabulous."  Perfect.  I think this bracelet fits the part.  Maybe I'll wear it tomorrow...

source, dream vintage etsy

 I was about half in love with her by the time we sat down. That`s the thing about girls. Every time they do something pretty... you fall half in love with them, and then you never know where the hell you are. ~J.D. Salinger

I just had a rather unpleasant phone conversation with my child's school counselor.  Thankfully, he appreciates her personality... yet we both know that the bricks of a schoolhouse are not an ideal canvas for graffiti (especially when you've signed your name).  She is only ten years old.  I think I just 'grew' another wrinkle.  It's time to focus on the positive, lest I begin screaming.

Things that made me smile today: 
  • Three Irish Folktales by Tomie dePaola, a favorite author and illustrator: Jamie O'Rourke and the Big Potato, Jamie O'Rourke and the Pooka, and a class favorite ~ Fin M'Coul and the Giant of Knockmany Hill.  The illustrations remind me of the quintessential childhood. 
  • A student, noticing an eruption in the back of her mouth, commented that she is getting her "7 year-old mold."  Molar, sweet girl.  The word is molar.  God forbid you're growing mold back there.
  • The words of Faulkner, an indulgent escape.
  • My preschool daughter's delight in acquiring new verbage:  her recent favorites?  Unbelievable and ridiculous.  Today, I have a special affinity for both.
xo, ~S. 

No comments:

Post a Comment