13 March 2011

Baby Love

Dear Lane,
Has it really been five years since you taught me, once again, about the power of a mother's love?  You are one of the three most incredible surprises of my life, another blessing that I did not request but somehow needed.  (Thank you, God.)  You, my little one, are growing up...yet remain my baby.  Always.

I have learned much in these past five years.  If it were not for you, I would never have developed relationships with pediatric neurosurgeons or pediatric urologists.  I would never have experienced the fear associated with so many scans and tests of a young child.  I might never have truly appreciated the power of prayer and the helplessness a mother feels when there is no healing in her hands.  But too, I might not have otherwise known the joy when all is well and peace finally comes. 

Today you asked if you could finally go to kindergarten.  It is hard to believe you are ready.  You are so very, very smart!  You have begun to read a bit, and you write me love notes with your left hand (your LEFT hand!).  And your artwork...I love the way you draw boats on a stormy sea, simply because you know it reminds me of Nantucket.  You make me smile each time you finish your sentences with that little giggle, and you never cease to amaze me each time you ask for a pet rat.  (The answer is still ~ and forever will be ~ NO.)


Happy Birthday to you, sweet girl.  I love you with every ounce of my being.  May you always hold this truth in your heart. 
xoxo, Mommy

Lane...channeling Elton John


Lane, my Baby girl...


Lane...the way you used to write your name...when you were still little, when you were still four.

No comments:

Post a Comment