16 January 2011

Elysium

There isn't a child who hasn't gone out into the brave new world who eventually doesn't return to the old homestead carrying a bundle of dirty clothes. ~Art Buchwald

She is gone.  McKenzie has left to return to college after a month-long furlow at home.  I wonder if she really knows how much she is already missed.  Be safe, sweet girl.  I will see you soon.  Love, mom.  xoxo

"There is always a moment in childhood when the door opens and lets the future in." ~ Graham Greene

And so today includes a bit of glum.  I was thinking of taking a brisk walk, but at 24 degrees and a very soggy outdoors, I think I'll stay inside and dream of Spring awhile...  Kudos to you again, Amy.  My little sis has introduced me to a site I'm liking...A LOT.  The Boden clothing line hails from Britain.  I love the scenery... (I'd really like to walk these these lanes.)

I love the philosophy:  Cast your eyes over our Spring range. A wealth of brighter hues, set to remind you of days when the sun rose before you did. Enjoy.

And I love this shirt and the fact that the girl even looks a bit like me. 

After folding laundry to the sound of Food Network in the background, I'm feeling inspired to cook something really fresh for dinner.  Melissa D'Arabian shared this recipe from a favorite restaurant in Vermont.  When I return to the northeast, I'm stopping by!

Garlic Spaghetti

Ingredients  
  • 9 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 6 tablespoons butter
  • 1 (15-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 pound spaghetti, cooked al dente
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
  • Grated Parmesan, for garnish 
Directions
In a small saucepan, cook the garlic in the olive oil for 30 minutes on low heat. Stir occasionally to keep the garlic from drying out. In a medium saucepan, add the butter and tomatoes, and stir until well blended and the butter is melted. Stir in the garlic oil and season with salt and pepper. Allow the flavors to meld for 10 minutes. Toss with the spaghetti and serve garnished with basil and Parmesan.

Apparently the key is to steep the garlic in olive oil long enough to removes its sweetness.  Oh my goodness...hunger strikes again.  Deliziosa.

I've already confessed.  I have a tendency to hang onto things longer than I should.  Although I'm pining for Spring, I'm not yet ready to say goodbye to winter.  Snow is coming to visit me tomorrow (I hope) and this, too, is welcome.  The lyrics to Winter Song, by Sara Bareilles and Ingrid Michaelson, are significant too.  (To avoid a cacophony, pause the playlist at the bottom of this page before listening.)

This is my winter song to you
The storm is coming soon
It rolls in from the sea

My voice a beacon in the night
My words will be your light
To carry you to me

*     *     *
They say that things just cannot grow
Beneath the winter snow
Or so I have been told

They say we're buried far
Just like a distant star
I simply cannot hold
*     *     *
I still believe in summer days
The seasons always change
And life will find a way


And before I go ~ I stumbled upon a particular blog in an unlikely place (via Huckleberry Prairie by way of Sugarpie Farmhouse).  This is not the type of blog I tend to read ~ which has effectively changed as of this moment! ~ and my guess is that it's not Huckleberry Prairie's typical read either.  My curiosity was piqued.  Meet Kandee Johnson: make-up artist by trade...style seeker, heart inspirer, and happy maker by heart.  I found these words on the video located at her "About Me" page:  "You are more beautiful than you know, more talented than you think, and more loved than you can imagine."  And at the video's close, this:  "Keep your hopes alive and your heart and chin even higher.  No matter what is going on, think of it as getting you stronger and more prepared for greatness.  I love you and believe in you.  If no one else tells you that today, I did." 

Ah, good stuff!  ~S.

No comments:

Post a Comment