21 January 2011

Peace of Mind

"Life, love, and laughter - what priceless gifts to give our children." ~Phyllis Dryden

This week in class as the students and I discussed themes associated with Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., a little girl asked, "Why did he die?"  Bigotry.  Prejudice.  It breaks my heart each time I try to explain these things to six and seven year-olds.  These concepts, fortunately, are foreign to them.  They have not [yet] learned ~or been taught~ to hate.  It is my sincerest wish that it may always remain so...  A young boy in our room commented, "And there wasn't very good security in those days."  Security.  That's a big word for a young one.  He lives in a world where even children are in tune to organized protection from society's dangers.  Sad.  Shortly thereafter, my phone displayed a push notification from FOX News, "Two Shot at a California High School.  Gunman in Custody."  Seriously, at some point we need to stand up and take accountability for breeding monsters...which brings me to my next rant.  Last night, while working on a Social Studies project, my daughter said, "I just realized something.  I always thought tourists were people who went around killing other people.  I was actually thinking of terrorists."  How unfortunate is it that my little girl is familiar with the word terrorist, yet not the word tourist?  I have failed her by not giving her adequate doses of positivity.  As a mom, my heart is frowning.  Even so, these words from Helen Keller bring a bit of comfort.  Who, really, is better able to comment on a sense of security?  “Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.”

*     *     *
 “Sunshine cannot bleach the snow, Nor time unmake what poets know.” 
~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Morning Sun
There is little that brings me peace like the silence of snowfall.  We've had a lot of that around here lately ~ snowfall, that is.  Thanks to an appointment at the doctor's office today, I will not be going to work.  After taking my little one to preschool, I circled the Capitol.  It was a scant 6 degrees outside and I had no coat with me (of course), but I couldn't help but get out of my heated car and walk around a bit.  Beautiful. 


And as I stood high above the Missouri River looking at the bridge in the far distance, it began to snow.  When I left this vantage point, the falling snow was also left behind.  How interesting, to stand along the edge of the river and be snowed upon, when just a few feet away, no flakes fell.  Magical.


*     *     *
And finally, there's a new song on my iPod.  I've included lyric excerpts of  Pink's latest hit, "F----- Perfect" (the clean version, because the profanity isn't the point).  I like her grit, though.  She's a tough girl.  Like me.  Most of the time.  ~S.

Made a wrong turn, once or twice
Dug my way out, blood and fire
Bad decisions, that's alright
Welcome to my silly life
Mistreated, misplaced, misunderstood
Miss 'No way, it's all good', it didn't slow me down
Mistaken, always second guessing, underestimated
Look, I'm still around

Pretty pretty please, don't you ever ever feel
Like you're less than perfect
Pretty pretty please, if you ever ever feel like you're nothing
You're perfect to me!

You're so mean, when you talk about yourself, you were wrong
Change the voices in your head, make them like you instead
So complicated, look happy, you'll make it!
Filled with so much hatred...such a tired game
It's enough! I've done all I can think of
Chased down all my demons, I've seen you do the same

Oh, pretty pretty please, don't you ever ever feel
Like you're less than perfect
Pretty pretty please, if you ever ever feel like you're nothing
You're perfect to me

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate your commentary. Anything that is worth being said is worth ascribing a name to its author. I am Sanders. Who are you?

    ReplyDelete