07 January 2011

Oh My Darlin'

....Clementine.

(klem′ən tīn′)

1.  A deep red-orange, often seedless mandarin orange.
2.  My saving grace in these days of starvation.

Yep, I said it.  I'm starving.  Maybe not literally, but this exercise in melting away has me feeling h.u.n.g.r.y.  I'm not complaining.  After all, this revolt is self-imposed.  I won't continue on this path for long, but 6 pounds lighter in 4 short days...well, yes, I think it's worth it.

I anticipated treating myself to some celebratory new shoes very soon as a result, but honestly, I have sooooo many pairs of shoes.  Maybe I should hold out until closer to Spring. I have, though, found something I want.  I think this small food processor will make me a very, very happy girl.  I'll be able to make the most of my [so few] calories each day.  The Magic Bullet.  Enough said.

*  *  * 
My sister introduced me to yet another blog.  (I am not accustomed to being told what to do and then subsequently doing it, but I've learned something.  When Amy says, "Check out this blog," it's usually worth my time.  Sometimes having a little sister around isn't so bad after all.  xoxo) 


I was drawn in by the story behind the name of this blog.  I hope you'll read "Joy's Story" from the link in the title banner.  Make sure you have tissues within reach, especially if you are...or were...or hope to be...a mom.  More than anything, the opening caption paraphrases the posts:  Do something good. Everyday.  I agree.  Just do it.

And so today I tried...to do something good, that is.  As I was cleaning out my purse (ugh), I found a receipt I'd saved from The Red Nun.  This was a favorite haunt while I was in Cape Cod.  I began to reminisce.  My time there was life-changing for many reasons.  I carry the northeast with me always and long to return.  My students, however, have not been there...until today.  With the help of AverVision and SmartBoard technology in our classroom, I used my photographs to take them on a trip with me.  We viewed land formations from the airplane...saw rivers and fields, highways and buildings, from miles and miles above the earth.  We soared above the clouds and compared these blankets to that of familiar snow on the ground.  I took them on a boat ride to Nantucket.  We rode the waves, saw the passing boats and water splashing against the windows of our ferry.  We enjoyed lobster, authentic New England Clam Chowder, and stuffed baked quahog.  We were sorry we couldn't taste these through the screen, but somehow, these foods don't seem so 'yucky' anymore.  The students think they now understand why the Pilgrims enjoyed these foods at the first Thanksgiving Feast.  Speaking of which, I also took them on a trip to Provincetown, the original landing site of the Pilgrims, and we visited the tower that stands as a memorial.  And so now I'm feeling a bit selfish.  I returned to New England today because that is where long to be.  I am happy, though, that my students traveled with me, and I think they are happy they went along.

In the classroom, we are currently engaged in an author study of Cynthia Rylant, one of my favorites.  There is an Appalachian theme that runs through much of her work.  My students know my heart is also in the Smokies.  "When are you going to show us pictures of the trip to your mountains?"  My mountains.  And so we'll soon be journeying again.  I'm sure you can guess where we'll adventure next.

*  *  * 
And now I'm switching gears a bit:  She called me resilient.  Thank you, Sarah, for believing that about me even when sometimes I don't.  As I think about "doing something good everyday," I wonder if you realize the good you've done for me.  One word.  Just an adjective, yet so much more.  I'm going to pay it forward to another friend who needs the reminder. 

re·sil·ient [ ri-ˈzil-yənt] adjective

  1. capable of withstanding shock without permanent deformation or rupture
  2. springing back; rebounding
  3. marked by the ability to recover readily, as from misfortune
And so these words below (authors unknown) are for you, my friend.  You know who you are.  Believe them.  I've been there too. 

Giving up doesn't always mean you
are weak; sometimes it means that
you are strong enough to let go. 

Relationships are like glass.
Sometimes it's better to leave
them broken than try to hurt
yourself putting it back together.

And always remember this:  No road is long with good company. ~Turkish Proverb  I'm glad to call you my pal.  xoxo, ~S.

A single rose can be my garden... a single friend, my world. ~Leo Buscaglia

No comments:

Post a Comment