12 January 2011

Cabin Fever

It is the second snow day in a row.  The temperatures are frigid and it's too frightening to let the little ones outdoors.  They tried yesterday, to play in the snow that is, and the effort was less than a success.  Their college-age-sister's-boyfriend invited them over to sled in his neighborhood (thanks, Adam!) and reminded him, I'm sure, of why it's nice not to have little sisters underfoot with any regularity.  Still, it was sweet to see my daughters dressed in snowsuits, hats, gloves, scarves and boots...and less than sweet to see the resulting chapped hands and cheeks.  The price we pay to play with winter, however, is very often worth it, and makes the hot chocolate epilogue all the tastier.

I am a kid at heart and love the anticipation (followed by the realization) of school cancellations due to inclement weather.  These days offer opportunities I don't often find so readily available ~ a laundry room sans laundry to be washed and dried, a kitchen with children and warm food and candles emitting cinnamon scents in the daylight hours, a big leather chair waiting for hours of a book-laden occupant, and a few extra coveted minutes to write.  Tonight I'll be back to the grind.  I have a pile, 3 feet high, of teacher's manuals, curriculum guides, and files for lesson plans that I must tackle ~ I mean, um, peruse ~ before returning to school tomorrow.  I'm slightly more motivated than I was two days ago.  This winter-induced respite has helped a bit. 

This is precisely what I mean by Cabin Fever.  I'm not aching to break out of this house.  I am searching, though, for some direction regarding my career and educational pursuits.  I'm feeling something of a Seven Year Itch (although I've been at this for far more than seven years) and need to find a more narrow focus for my rambling mind.  I can honestly say I do not know where this will lead, maybe nowhere (and that's okay, too), but I'm anxious to find out.  Perhaps a road trip is in order...when the wind is a bit warmer and feeling fresh in my hair.  It's good for me, in such this way, to clear my mind and discover my focus...again.

I do know that I'm excited to share the happiness of some good friends.  One of my favorite bloggers, England's own Bertie Meadows, is back and newly married.  She inspires me, and the countryside in which she lives leaves me smiling.  Also, "my best friend" (as my youngest has deemed her) is opening a new business soon.  Capital City CORK and Provisions will be, I assure you, a local hotspot.  I can't wait to take you there...wine (if you like), gourmet cheeses and chocolates, fresh-baked bread and sandwiches and soups, oh my!  [Note to you, Jami Thornsberry Wade: I love you!]

I am also excited to step on my scale and see the ugly number become a bit more friendly before my eyes.  Last week I measured an 8-pound loss.  I'm hoping for more this week!  I'm in love with my Lemon Zest Luna Bars, my flavorful varieties of Laughing Cow Cheese (a singular wedge will do), and today I enjoyed a half can of Progresso Light Chicken and Dumpling soup.  Those are the some of the best 80 calories I've enjoyed for lunch in awhile...fresh-cracked pepper added, of course.



Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening
by Robert Frost

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
 
So now that I've written awhile, I'm off to make the kitchen smell something like mostaciolli and garlic parmesan bread.  I think those scents will provide an apt backdrop for my visit to Skully's Landing, care of Truman Capote's Other Voices, Other Rooms.  I'd like to chat a bit longer, But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep, And miles to go before I sleep.
~S.

No comments:

Post a Comment