24 November 2010

Thanksgiving

"Write something inspiring!"  That is what he said.  I am struggling to find adequate words under such a strong directive.  I'll humbly acquiesce to those who can do far better. 

The Pilgrims made seven times more graves than huts. No Americans have been more impoverished than these who, nevertheless, set aside a day of thanksgiving. ~H.U. Westermayer

 God gave you a gift of 86,400 seconds today. Have you used one to say "thank you?"
~William A. Ward

Not what we say about our blessings, but how we use them, is the true measure of our thanksgiving. ~W.T. Purkiser

I'll be heading to the grocery store soon in preparation of tomorrow's meals.  (Note the usage of the plural form.) There will be two feasts of the day, and one is literally over the river and through the woods, albeit NOT at grandmother's house.  And the anticipation of a wintry mix has me smiling!  I'm a cold weather girl and prefer to watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade with the furnace running. 


 There is one day that is ours. There is one day when all we Americans who are not self-made go back to the old home to eat saleratus biscuits and marvel how much nearer to the porch the old pump looks than it used to. Thanksgiving Day is the one day that is purely American.
~O. Henry  
 
I am a lucky girl. 
  • I have a family who loves me.  That, at times, is a difficult task.
  • I have children who, I know, will make a difference.  They've already made a difference to me
  • I have friends who somehow see my worth in spite of me.  A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and can sing it back to you when you've forgotten the words.  Sometimes, sometimes you discover that truth in unexpected places...in unexpected faces.  I've been blessed. 
  • I have students who allow me to learn from them each day.  I earn my salary being inspired by 6 and 7 year-olds.  I am paid to spend time in their presence.  Such a gift. 
  • My bookshelves are lined with books.  Books filled with words.  Lots and lots of words.  My friends.
  • I have a direction, traveling shoes, and a purpose.  I've learned well how to keep putting one foot in front of the other.  I don't need a map.  Finally, finally, I think I know the way.  Thanksgiving, after all, is a word of action. ~W.J. Cameron
  • I have grace.  Thank God for that.
  • When I feel like hell, I remember these anchors...and hold on tightly:  
When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.
~Horatio Spafford

I am a lucky girl...  If the only prayer you said in your whole life was, "thank you," that would suffice. ~Meister Eckhart  ...and I am thankful.  Please, God, don't let me ever again take this for granted.  Amen.

Happy Thanksgiving!
~S.

No comments:

Post a Comment