18 November 2010

auf Wiedersehen

Gone.  No goodbye hugs.  No farewell smile.
Just gone

The heartstrings of a teacher are tugged often.  It is those times when they are pulled tightly that ache with a pain that is palpable. This child of mine, a student, has moved to a new school ~ moved on...away...with no closure.  There are many children who have shared my classroom over the years.  All are so very special, yet some leave their marks a bit more indelibly than others.  For reasons I will not share, this child was one of those students.  I'll be thinking about this little one for a long, long time.  I'll wonder, and worry, and hope, and pray.  Oh, dear God, please take care of this child.  Please. 

“The child must know that he is a miracle, that since the beginning of the world there hasn't been, and until the end of the world there will not be, another child like him.” ~Pablo Casals

“I've come to the frightening conclusion that I am the decisive element in the classroom. It's my daily mood that makes the weather. As a teacher, I possess a tremendous power to make a child's life miserable or joyous. I can be a tool of torture or an instrument of inspiration. I can humiliate or humor, hurt or heal. In all situations, it is my response that decides whether a crisis will be escalated or de-escalated and a child humanized or de-humanized.” ~Dr. Haim Ginott

May others in your little life echo these sentiments.

No comments:

Post a Comment