14 November 2010

State of Mind

Last night I dreamed, as always.  These dreams, though, were such that are primed for interpretation...the scenes, the characters.  Some I know quite well...have known since long ago.  Others, I've come to know but have never actually met.  Interesting ~ the stake even the latter may claim once you've closed your eyes.  I'll be thinking a bit about these night stories as I head east to St. Louis today.  Sometimes even these tales are significant.

Yesterday was a day of stories, too.  McKenzie went hunting with her dad, as did Ally later in the afternoon.  Early in the day, I made my annual jaunt to Lone Star Farm with mom and my younger girls.  Magical.  Won't you come along?


A world in which elves exist and magic works offers greater opportunities to digress and explore. ~Terry Brooks

Well over a century old, this little one-room cabin rests atop a cellar. I think I could happily write my novel within these walls.  Come, take a peek inside...



Christmas waves a magic wand over this world, and behold, everything is softer and more beautiful. ~Norman Vincent Peale

The little shop near the barn is a delight as well.  Christmas carols, mulled cider, sugar cookies, a white chocolate cherry spread served with tiny crackers, and a bowl of spinach Parmesan dip married with a pretzel or two.  Yes, I lingered.



He who has not Christmas in his heart will never find it under a tree. ~Roy L. Smith

While I linnnggggggered, the girls enjoyed "the horse" referenced in a previous post.  They wanted so desperately to climb the fence and play, but this year, its owner was nowhere to be seen.  I wasn't complaining.  After a bout of carsickness from my youngest, I certainly didn't care to add equus to the list of messes to address.
Upon reminding the kids to keep their hands to themselves (and away from the horse's face), my Ally replied, "The only time he doesn't like it is when you're watching, mom."  A quick-witted response from a fearless child.

Christmas-themed towels and napkins, fruit preserves, jalapeno onion relish, appetizer mixes...and a snowman, too!
A sled and little red wagon bid welcome.

Old-fashioned dolls, like the ones resting on my camelback trunk ~ The ones I bought with my dad and grandfather in tow, using funds from a savings bond gifted to me at birth by my great-grandmother...a very, VERY long time ago.

It is Christmas in the heart that puts Christmas in the air. ~W.T. Ellis

Christmas renews our youth by stirring our wonder. ~Ralph Sockman
Dare I say it?  This...looks...like...me!

I'm hoping for dreams again tonight, a bit mysterious yet sweet too...the kind that taste like candy canes.  But for now I must go.  A little girl has climbed upon my lap and asked to see the "horsey" again.  That, that is even sweeter than candy canes.

Christmas, children, is not a date.  It is a state of mind.  ~Mary Ellen Chase 

No comments:

Post a Comment