01 April 2011

Summary

Sometimes the weekend is an epilogue to my week.  
Sometimes, the opposite is true. 

My middle-daughter-soccer-player-fashionista and I headed to St. Louis last weekend for league games that were eventually canceled due to ~ what else? ~ snow, of course.  This is the Midwest.  Among other things, we're known for having weather that doesn't necessarily make much sense.  Such was the case on Saturday.  We were halfway to our destination when Mother Nature decided we'd better stay indoors and not play soccer, but the possibility for two games on Sunday was still strong.  Because my King Suite had been reserved at an unbelievable price (aka, a steal), I opted to press onward.  Besides, it would have cost more in gas to return home and then journey to St. Louis yet again the following day.  Ally and I decided to head to The Hill for Italian, one of our favorite old neighborhoods in the area.  It was worth the 40 mph drive on eastbound Interstate 70 via treacherous roadways. 



The Hill, Part I



Missouri Baking Company, The Purchases:

  • Ravioli, my favorite sugared shortbread cookie with pecans.  Three dozen.  Heaven.
  • Strawberry Tarts
  • Pecan Sticky Buns
  • 2 Aprons ~ one for me, one for Suzy (whose grandparents used to live nearby many, many years ago)

The Hill, Part II



Rigazzi's, The Fare:
  • a Small Cheese Pizza for the kiddo, with a Fudgesicle for dessert
  • Chicken Picante...red sauce with white wine, mushrooms and a hint of bacon ~ Delizioso!


There is something familiar about this neighborhood.  I have no Italian heritage, yet the area reminds me of my grandparents, of a time when neighbors knew each other's names.  It feels like home.

My evening was spent reading, shopping with Ally The Fashion Plate, and watching her swim.  For the first night in a long time I slept well...and late...and then enjoyed my favorite breakfast:  Biscuits and Gravy.  And as if I hadn't spent enough money shopping the evening before, I was confident of this fact by Sunday afternoon.  Ally and I met up with my other two daughters...one returning to college and saying farewell to Spring Break, and the other just along for the ride.  Happiness.  Here's hoping this weekend is just as fine.

Things That Recently Made Me Smile:

A sign in a shop that read: 

Walk with the dreamers, the believers, the courageous, the cheerful, the planners, the doers, the successful people with their heads in the clouds and their feet on the ground. Let their spirit ignite a fire within you to leave this world better than when you found it.

This quote:

"Then we sat on the edge of the earth with our feet dangling over the side, and marveled that we had found each other."
~Erik Dillard

A closing bookstore (sad) sale (glad):

I came away with two Faulkners, a Willa Cather and a Welty.  Classic titles for my evergrowing library.  
Insert 'smile' here.

This blog:  

(It's written in German and much is lost during translation, but the photos are so inspiring.)




...and so my week was a mere footnote to a pretty stellar weekend.  I hope this next one proceeds accordingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment