25 April 2011

Sober Thoughts

Heel against toe.
The line is straight and I am walking.
A drop.  "Just one," you say.  Poison to my heart.
The line blurs.  You become confused...
          ...have fallen...
                    ...and I am walking...alone...without you.
Heel to toe.  Moving on.  Alone.


Three years ago today I lost someone I loved ~ someone I love.  His demons took him away from me.  Too soon.  Far too soon.

  In the introduction to A Walk with the Serenity Prayer, by Drs. Frank Minirth, Paul Meier, David Congo, and Ms. Janet Congo, it says this:  All of us suffer from time to time as we sojourn through life.  Some of us honestly admit it, serenely accept inevitable pain, courageously change unnecessary pain, and humbly ask God for wisdom to know the difference.


God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.


I lived on rum, I tell you. It's been meat and drink, and man and wife, to me. ~Robert Louis Stevenson, Treasure Island

Wine hath drowned more men than the sea. ~Thomas Fullerton

Drugs or overeating or alcohol or sex, it was all just another way to find peace. To escape what we know. Our education. Our bite of the apple.  
~Chuck Palahniuk, Choke

As we became subjects of King Alcohol, shivering denizens of his mad realm, the chilling vapor that is loneliness settled down. It thickened, ever becoming blacker. Some of us sought out sordid places, hoping to find understanding companionship and approval. Momentarily we did  -- then would come oblivion and the awful awakening to face the hideous Four Horsemen -- Terror, Bewilderment, Frustration, Despair.  ~ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, The Big Book


 Letting go of blame + Learning to forgive   = Being set free   

I still miss you.  xo, ~S.           

No comments:

Post a Comment