04 September 2011

Happenstance

I am in 'a mood' and have decided to whittle away the edge of it with words.  I am typing in a public place and I find the blaring sounds of YouTube on a neighboring laptop to be intrusive.  I wish I'd brought along my earphones.  I could wear them myself or offer them to the party at the adjacent table in exchange for some peace and quiet.  Annoying, too, is the way the young man behind the cafe counter keeps flicking his braid, a tiny thing that hangs behind one ear and down onto his shoulder.  (I don't understand the purpose of this style statement.  It seems bizarre, or maybe my thoughts simply indicate I am growing old.)  He serves me my vanilla cupcake with a smile and a wish for a great day.  Now I feel bad.  I need to rewind and begin again.  I, of all people, should know better than to judge a book by its cover.  Dang it.  What is wrong with me today?

Right now I wish Cape Cod wasn't so far from here...or maybe I am wishing that I was far away on Cape Cod.  My little sis pointed me in this direction and I am 'homesick'...



I love the work of Holly Mathis Interiors and think I could make it work here, on Nantucket Island:






And this driveway is lovely:



A young girl nearby has just asked to use my phone.  She is obviously trying to study but is frustrated with a new-but-dead battery in her own.  There is something about helping someone else that lessens the egocentrism.  My mood is shifting...

Someday, when we both reminisce we'll both say, 'There wasn't too much we missed,' and through the tears we'll smile when we recall we had it all for just a moment. ~St. Elmo's Fire
Sit in reverie and watch the changing color of the waves that break upon the idle seashore of the mind.           ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
To lick your wounds, to smack your lips over grievances long past, to roll over your tongue the prospect of bitter confrontations still to come, to savor to the last toothsome morsel--both the pain you are given and the pain you are giving back--in many ways it is a feast fit for a king. The chief drawback is that what you are wolfing down is yourself. The skeleton at the feast is you. ~Frederick Buechner
 There:  a few final quotes...for me, if not for you.  I think I can study now.  I think.  ~S.

No comments:

Post a Comment