09 June 2011

Sunshine


We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre.
 ~Uta Hagen

How curious that I should discover this quote today!  Yesterday, I visited with my friend and mentor, Dr. Carol Maher.  Last summer we met during a leadership seminar.  As she discussed her career path, she indicated that her journey was rooted in a deep desire to stamp out mediocrity.  How could I have possibly known that a year later, I would be one of her doctoral students?  I walked into the doors of that seminar without a single thought of ever pursuing post-graduate studies.  I exited those doors, however, with an altered mindset.  And that is when my journey began.  "When you take charge of your life, there is no longer need to ask permission of other people or society at large. When you ask permission, you give someone veto power over your life." ~Geoffrey F. Abert

Today it will, again, be unbearably hot...unless you spend the afternoon indulging yourself in a perfect saltwater pool (which I am).  It is the "Summer of the Cicadas" but fortunately, the beady-eyed insects don't concern me much.  I only wish they were a bit more attractive.  If I must share [every inch of] grass and pavement and air with them, it would be nice if they were beautiful or something.  Perhaps I could offer a stretch and allude to their gossamer wings?   (Okay, maybe not.)  And for now, I'm off.  I have a date with the sunshine...


...and what a date it was!  I've been sunkissed (and am loving it). 
 
Naples, 1961
My firstborn contacted me from Rome today.  She has developed an affinity for Italian shoes, purses and jewelry.  I am thankful, extremely thankful, that she and I wear the same size shoe.  Tomorrow she will travel by train to Napoli, before returning to the Middle East.  My father enjoyed his time as a sailor in the Mediterranean, and he had an affection for Naples.  I e-mailed this photo to her.  It made her cry.  She misses him.  I do as well.  Just know, sweet girl, that Italy is an experience that, in some small way, you've shared with your grandpa.  xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment