02 June 2011

Noble Things

Today was hot and humid, but happy.  I spent it with my sis and her sons, and two of my daughters.  We rode the city bus downtown, visited the Capitol (the most beautiful ever, and that's the truth), enjoyed a bit of small town diner food, visited a locally-owned bookstore, said hello to my dear friend at her new and fabulous business CORK, then finished the afternoon with some frozen yogurt, topped with fresh strawberries and granola.  Whew.  Oh, and I forgot to mention the cicadas.  They are everywhere (as in a plague of biblical proportions) and their cacophony is deafening ~ almost.  Fortunately, I was not overly concerned with the need to remove them, with regularity, from my pants and shirt.  The joys of  a Midwest summer...

 Architecture.  Beautiful.  Stunningly so.



The rotunda.  Breathtaking.
Perfectly Painted and Inlaid Dogwood





Upon my return home I visited Pinterest.  (I love these virtual bulletin boards.  It's an organizational dream.)  A photo of mine had been repinned onto another's board.  This fellow user had labeled her board artistic.  This is significant to me because the photo that was reposted was of something personal, something of personal significance, something that it seems only I understand.


It is flattering that someone else appreciated the art.  I appreciate the meaning.  Despite all the scars I carry, this one was strategic...with purpose, with meaning.   
A really strong woman accepts the war she went through and is ennobled by her scars. ~Carly Simon


That, that is what I want.  

And now I'm off.  The chicken tetrazzini is hot from the oven! 
xo, ~S.
Look love
They've given up believing
They've turned aside our stories of the gentle fall

But don't you believe them
Don't you drink their poison too
These are the scars that words have carved
On me

Hey love
That's the name we've long held back
From the core of truth

So don't turn away now
I am turning in revolution
These are the scars that silence carved
On me...

...Hey, love
I am a constant satellite
Of your blazing sun
My love
I obey your law of gravity
This is the fate you've carved on me
The law of gravity
This is the fate you've carved on me
 
~excerpts from Vienna Teng's "Gravity"

No comments:

Post a Comment