27 October 2010

John 14:7

Today my thoughts are not so much about me.  This post is for a friend who needs a hug.  I hope these words help to bridge the miles between us.  Love you gobs, as always. xoxo
 Who, being loved, is poor?  ~Oscar Wilde 
Here are some thoughts which come, once again, from my sweet little book of positive quotations.  It was given to me by someone who knew I'd put it to good use.  I think today is the perfect time to pay it forward.
*     *     *    

How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and strong ~ because someday in your life you will have been all of those.  ~George Washington Carver
~ ~ ~ 
It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get back up. ~Vince Lombardi
*     *     *   
The truth is that our finest moments are most likely to occur when we are feeling deeply uncomfortable, unhappy, or unfulfilled.  For it is only in such moments, propelled by our discomfort, that we are likely to step out of our ruts and start searching for different ways or truer answers.  ~M. Scott Peck
~ ~ ~   
Give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way. 
~Native American Proverb
*     *     *   
A strong positive mental attitude will create more miracles than any wonder drug.  ~Patricia Neal
~ ~ ~   
May the stars carry your sadness away,
May the flowers fill your heart with beauty.
May hope forever wipe away your tears,
And, above all, may silence make you strong.
~Chief Dan George
*     *     *   
When a good man is hurt, all who would be good must suffer with him.  ~Euripedes
~ ~ ~
A good cry lightens the heart.  ~Yiddish Proverb
*     *     *   
I'm in love with the potential of miracles.  For me, the safest place is out on a limb.  ~Shirley MacLaine
~ ~ ~
The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, not to worry about the future, or not to anticipate troubles, but to live in the present moment wisely and earnestly.  ~Buddha
*     *     *   
We shall find peace.
We shall hear angels.
We shall see the sky sparkling with diamonds. 
~Anton Chekov 
~ ~ ~
When a friend is in trouble, don't annoy him by asking if there is anything you can do. Think up something appropriate and do it.
~E.W. Howe

The quote from Howe sums up the gift. Words. That is all I have tonight. "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." John 14:27  And here, my favorite hymn...I'm not sure which strikes me more, the lyrics or the story of Mr. Horatio Spafford, the Chicago lawyer who penned the words.

Spafford was a successful lawyer in Chicago who maintained a keen interest in Christian activities, deeply spiritual and devoted to the scriptures.  Sometime in 1871, a fire in Chicago heavily devastated the city, and months before that, Spafford had invested hugely in real estate by the shore of Lake Michigan. The disaster greatly wiped out his holdings. Before the fire, Spafford also experienced the loss of his son. Two years after the fire, he planned a trip to Europe for his family. The day they were due to depart, Spafford had a last minute business transaction and had to stay behind in Chicago. Nevertheless, he still sent his wife and four daughters to travel as scheduled on the S.S. Ville du Havre, expecting to follow in a few days. On November 22, the ship laden with his wife and daughters was struck by the Lockhearn, an English vessel, and sank in few minutes.  After the survivors were finally landed somewhere at Cardiff, Wales, Spafford's wife cabled her husband with two simple words, "Saved alone." Shortly after, Spafford left by ship. Bertha Spafford (the fifth daughter of Horatio and Anna born later) explained that during her father's voyage, the captain of the ship had called him to the bridge. "A careful reckoning has been made", he said, "and believe we are now passing the place where the de Havre was wrecked. The water is three miles deep." Horatio then returned to his cabin and penned the lyrics of his great hymn.  The words which Spafford wrote that day come from 2 Kings 4:26. Spafford's song reveals a man whose trust in the Lord is unwavering. (Text courtesy of Suite101 and BibleCharts.) 

When peace like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say,
It is well, it is well with my soul.
Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ hath regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul!
It is well, with my soul,
It is well, with my soul,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.


My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!
And Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight,
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
Even so, it is well with my soul.

It is well, with my soul,
It is well, with my soul,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

Be strong.  Have faith. 
Love, Stephanie xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment