13 January 2012

Traveling Shoes

Yesterday it snowed.  I was at home, compliments of the school district's 'Voice of Snowdays' ~ which warned me in the wee hours of inclement weather.  The roads were clear fairly early and while transportation was no longer problematic, the windchill was something akin to a single degree.  Just a day before, the temperature was in the low 50s, and it will be so again by early next week.  Only in my neck of the Midwest!  The afternoon found me traveling to meet my best friend from high school, the one who has known me longest, the one who for years was the twin bound to me with an invisible thread.  She arrived by way of a turbulent plane ride from Bozeman, Montana.  I love this girl.  I always will...

I have been reminded of late that sometimes those we've loved the dearest never really go away, regardless of the miles between us.  At other times, those closest to us are the ones who are farthest away.  There are several personal stories attached to that sentiment, but for now I am thinking of another friend who is anticipating an unanticipated change of path:

March on. Do not tarry. To go forward is to move toward perfection. March on, and fear not the thorns, or the sharp stones on life's path. 
~Khalil Gibran

As a single footstep will not make a path on the earth, so a single thought will not make a pathway in the mind. To make a deep physical path, we walk again and again. To make a deep mental path, we must think over and over the kind of thoughts we wish to dominate our lives. ~Henry David Thoreau

The path of least resistance and least trouble is a mental rut already made. It requires troublesome work to undertake the alternation of old beliefs. 
~John Dewey

Sometimes it is sweet, even humbling, to return to the yesterdays when things were simpler, less complicated.  Like in the days of teddy bears.  And too-big earphones.  With only the irritation of a flashbulb spotting your view.
xo, ~S.

No comments:

Post a Comment