27 May 2011

Summer

"Wherever you go, go with all your heart." ~Confucius

Today I hung up my whistle for the last time this school year.  It was a bit sad, actually.  This group of students has a special place in my heart.  Collectively, they were the strongest class of my teaching career...so many of them already reading grade levels beyond expectation.  Most importantly, though, they are incredibly kind and thoughtful children.  Even at their young age, they are empathetic toward their peers.  They are genuinely sweet and will give, and give, and give to others as their lives unfold.  I am missing them already.  There are a few whom I will likely never see again.  They are preparing to move far away this very weekend.  I will not forget them.  Their tug on my heartstrings will not lighten.  Ever.

"Friendship... is not something you learn in school. But if you haven't learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven't learned anything." ~Muhammad Ali

Summer...My firstborn has begun a vacation of a lifetime.  Today as I attempted to quietly finish the last day of school, a large commercial jet was landing in the desert with her on board.  As I type this, she is walking the streets of Abu Dhabi with friends, e-mailing me about the similarities she sees to America ~ with the exception of the ever-present Arabic writing and men wearing dishdashas.  Tomorrow, she thinks, will include a helicopter ride over an area of the world I will likely never see.  Enjoy every moment, sweet girl. 

"Adventure must start with running away from home.” ~William Bolitho

Yesterday, my Ally received several awards at school.  None of them involved fashion sense or expertise regarding Justin Bieber trivia.  Nevertheless, she was recognized and I am delighted I could attend the assembly.  You are a superstar, kiddo, but you already know that. *  *  * Today, very soon, I will retrieve my youngest from preschool.  It is her last day as a "little kid" and she is glad of it.  Still, Lane, you will always be my baby.  Always.

“Growing up is never easy. You hold on to things that were. You wonder what's to come. But that night, I think we knew it was time to let go of what had been, and look ahead to what would be. Other days. New days. Days to come. The thing is, we didn't have to hate each other for getting older. We just had to forgive ourselves... for growing up.” ~The Wonder Years

And now I am off...to be a mom for awhile, to return to school to finish some tasks, and to study and write a paper.  I am transitioning from one school setting to another for the next few months...and I am happy.  Be so, too.
xo, ~S.

No comments:

Post a Comment