05 December 2010

Changed

I found an inspiring blog today.  You cannot be much of a writer if you are not first a reader.  This much I know is true.  Lucky for me, I love both. It is particularly exciting when I stumble upon a fresh hitching post against which I can lean (and look) for awhile.  I hope you'll check out Lisa Leonard's blogShe's an 'ordinary' mom like me, but she's more than that, too.  She's phenomenal.  That's precisely what I mean by inspiring. 

On a less-than-happy-but-so-very-very-important-note ~ I'm fortunate to be friends with an extraordiary young man who lives on Cape Cod.   His name is Julian.  He speaks French.  And plays a bazillion instruments.  And hosts podcasts.  And is an honor student.  And creates fabulous pottery.  And is thirteen years old.  Only thirteen years old, thus far.  During one of our chats while I was a guest in his home, the topic of literature presented itself and Julian shared with me the title of one of his favorite books: The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, by novelist John Boyne.  I watched the movie today...and wept.  The subject of the book is the sad note. If you have an interest in Holocaust literature, please read this fictional story...or watch the movie.  Just do it.  You will be changed.  Thank you, Julian, for letting me know. What other words are there, honestly?  Let us never forget.

“Childhood is measured out by sounds and smells and sights, before the dark hour of reason grows.” ~John Betjeman

God Bless.
 ~S.

No comments:

Post a Comment