09 September 2010

Examination

“The first step to improvement, whether mental, moral, or religious, is to know ourselves - our weakness, errors, deficiencies and sins, that, by divine grace, we may overcome and turn from them all.” ~Tryon Edwards
*     *     *
"God doesn't bless mediocrity.  He blesses excellence."

"Be the one to have an excellent spirit.  Be the one to stand out in the crowd."

I've borrowed these tidbits from Joel Osteen's Your Best Life Now.  They reference some very (very) personal goals.  I'd tell you about them...but then they'd be less personal, wouldn't they?  Suffice it to say, I've decided not to settle.  Maybe I'm selfish.  Maybe I'm just worth it.

At school, all staff members, regardless of position, are participating in a book study.  We are reading the Wall Street Journal's business bestseller, Fish! (Catch the Energy and Release the Potential).  It is a parable based on the Pike Street Fish Market in Seattle, and it is touted as a "remarkable way to boost morale and improve results."  It is a key study component of my leadership work this year, relative to professional goals.  I am also hopeful it will help to direct my focus on areas for dissertation research.  We shall see.

“How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world.”
~Anne Frank

On a purely simplistic note, I'm setting some purely-simplistically-attainable goals.  I'm gearing up for Fall and just as the animal stores adipose tissue, I'll undergo some changes as well.  (Fortunately, mine doesn't include the extra layer of fat...not this year, anyway!) First, I'm gathering books to read during hibernation.  I suppose it's not actually a true hibernation, since I've been known to sit on the porch, in subfreezing temperatures, with a blanket and book in hand ~ and actually enjoy it!  Second, I'm stocking the kitchen with ingredients for comfort foods.  It's nice to come home from work to a crockpot of food, already prepared and piping hot.  On the menu this weekend: 

Cowboy Beans 


"I think anytime you can affect people in general, in a positive way, then you're a lucky individual." ~Sam Elliott  
(Well, Mr. Cowboy, I think we're the lucky ones.  There's nothing like a bit of eye candy for dessert.  Uh huh.)

 Ingredients:

•1 pound lean ground beef
•1/2 cup chopped onion
•1/4 cup ketchup
•1/4 cup barbecue sauce
•1/4 c. granulated sugar
•1/4 c. brown sugar
•2 tbsp. sorghum or other molasses
•1 tbsp. chili powder
•1 tsp. salt
•1 tsp. pepper
•2 tbsp. mustard
•1 can (approx. 16 ounces) pork 'n beans
•1 can (approx. 16 ounces) butter beans, drained
•1 can (approx. 16 ounces) kidney beans, drained
•1 can (approx. 16 ounces) pinto beans, drained
•1/2 lb. bacon, cooked and crumbled

Preparation:

Brown beef. Add onion and cook until tender.  Drain excess grease. Add remaining ingredients, except bacon. Put in crockpot and top with bacon crumbs. Cook on HIGH for 1 hour, then reduce heat to LOW and cook 2 to 4 hours.
*     *     *
“The unexamined life is not worth living.” ~Socrates   Hence, today's title.  Above all else, "The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me." ~Ayn Rand, The Fountainhead  THAT, certainly, IS the question.

No comments:

Post a Comment